Monday, September 29, 2008

you've begun to feel like home...what's mine is yours to make your own.






I feel like I owe you all an apology because I've barely talked to any of you. I'm sorry. Life has been so busy I can barely keep up with it.

I wish I had pictures to show you, because that's why people seem to post in blogs. People show pictures. Perhaps I'll add some later.

School started for Tyler and I and it's been really hectic. It's been hard to fit in time to see each other every day; for example, right now he's sitting here reading for homework while I'm typing this blog post on his computer. That's how life is for us. It seems like every spare second we have to spend with each other, we're consumed by homework. Lame sauce.

My graphic design classes have been intense, but have been going fairly well. I generally get good feedback from my teachers on my sketchbook work, but I can tell that my computer work (using adobe illustrator and photoshop) is below average right now. I feel like my classmates are kicking my butt in illustrator. But I'm slowly getting better, and in my spare time at work (which has been a lot lately) I look online at tutorials. It'll come to me eventually.

Today I just had my first out of four tests for history of graphic design. I studied for about 8-12 hours this past weekend, and hopefully it paid off. I think I possibly got an A. If I did, I decided I deserve ice cream. :) I think this semester, even though I'm only taking 14 credits, is the hardest semester yet for me. I'm brand new in my major and am being introduced to so many things all at once. I've decided this: there are so many things that are simply innate in artists. We have a sense of composition, color, and artistic reasoning that is just ingrained in us that no one else seems to have. Creativity comes easily to us. Naturally, I've got the creativity aspect covered. But then you have to throw in the technicalities of your specific major, and for me that includes computer programs like photoshop and illustrator. They're still fairly foreign to me and even though I have the artistic background, I can't seem to put the ideas in my head into a concept on the computer yet. I'm really struggling right now, I'm not going to lie. I know I'm in the right major, and I know it's where I'm supposed to be, but I get so frustrated at the inability to fully convey my ideas.

I think that's enough ranting for tonight. I really just wanted to post and say hello to my family...and tell you all I'm sorry for ignoring you and putting you off these past weeks. You don't deserve it. I love you guys. :)

3 comments:

kendle sue said...

hey alex... its kendle, from work. haha i hope you dont think im creepy, but i saw your blog (i dont usually use mozilla but explorer was being silly.) anyway... your blog is seriously cute!! and ive never seen your fiance... he is very cute as well!! you two look so happy together! :) and good luck with graphic design classes!

The Boring Family said...

Hey, don't worry that you've been so busy! It's totally normal, and I know how busy Tyler's classes are! I just ask that you at least take the time to go out to dinner with Brian when he comes (you, Tyler, and Logan). And, just make it until Thanksgiving and Sadie and I will hang out with you guys all weekend! Just remember that this is but a small moment in the overall picture of your life and you will be a stronger and better person because of this challenge. Trust me...Brian and I spent many a night with him on the couch doing math, and me on the computer next to him studying...total silence. Just hang in there!! We love you!

Alie said...

Kendle--
you're not creepy at all! and your blog is fun. :) i love the art...you paint so well! you should get into the visual arts program. it's hard, but worth it. i love the door by the way. i think i told you that already...but seriously, your drawing and designing skills are very good. i'm not very good at drawing anymore...i don't do it enough, sadly. have a great day at work!

Mackenzie--
of COURSE we will make time for Brian when he comes!! it makes things so much easier that he's coming on a wednesday or thursday...closer to the end of the week things tend to settle down. thanks for the advice. :)

 
template by suckmylolly.com